Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fantastic Friday

It took me about 2 seconds to talk Jim into taking Friday off. Of course - he is a worker and the thoughts of just lying by our pool didn't appeal to him as much as it did Malisha and I. We have been wanting/needing to refinish our wooden front door. We actually hired a guy to come do it for us - but he didn't show up - twice! Jim and I decided to do it ourselves. Here Jim is stripping the first layer off. While Jim was using chemicals on the door - which he wouldn't let me help, I was weeding and admiring my new flowers that are popping up. Anyone that knows me, know I love flowers. I get the love for flowers from my grandmothers. When I look at their blooms and all the wonderful colors, shapes and designs it amazes me at how God created so many beautiful things. I feel close to him and thank him for my life. These daylillies came from Jim's mother.
Some beauties in my friendship garden.
Ice plant - I have had to thin this out several times. It is a sun lover and blooms all summer.
While I was watering my hanging baskets a bird flew out, scaring me to death. I looked inside and saw this little nest - another one of God's miracles and beautiful creations. One of my joys in life is waking up on the weekends, fixing a pot of coffee and sitting on the porch listening to the birds. I must be careful not to drown the babies but keep my plant watered.
What a lovely Friday. We got a lot done around the house, layed by the pool and I fixed Jim a wonderful dinner of crab cakes, corn on the cob and angel lush cake - yummy!
Crab Cakes2 cans (6 oz. each) crab meat in water, drained, flaked - the actual recipe calls for Tuna, but I like crab meat better.
1 pkg. (6 oz.) Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 cup Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
3/4 cup water
1 carrot, shredded
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. Sweet Pickle Relish
Mix all ingredients and refrigerate 10 minutes. Flatten into patties and cook 6 minutes or until golden brown.
Angel Lush

1 can (20 oz.) Crushed Pineapple in Juice, undrained
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) Jell-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 cup thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
1 pkg. (10 oz.) round angel food cake, cut into 3 layers
10 small fresh strawberries
Mix pineapple and dry pudding mix. Gently stir in Cool Whip.
Stack cake layers on plate, spreading pudding mixture between layers and on top of cake.
Refrigerate 1 hour. Top with berries and enjoy!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!